The quarterly update for 12/31/2019 is a large update, affecting every calculator. The majority of the changes affect the functionality of the calculations, updating them to 2020 rules and regulations. The most significant calculation changes in this update were to the retirement, savings, and tax calculators. Additional changes have also been made changes for continued ADA support. All standard calculators meet accessibility specification WCAG 2.1 Level AA and Section 508.
"Setting Every Community Up for Retirement Security Act", better known as the SECURE Act was signed into U.S. law on December 20th, 2019 (technically it was an amendment to a much larger funding bill). The SECURE Act has a significant impact on retirement distributions. All affected calculators have been updated, both in definitions and functionality, to incorporate the new law as it now is understood. It is expected that the IRS will release further procedures to implement the SECURE Act. We expect at least one more update in 2020 to accommodate IRS published revenue procedures.
Retirement Finance Calculators
- 401k Savings Calculator - A 401(k) can be one of your best tools for creating a secure retirement. Use this calculator to see why this is a retirement savings plan you cannot afford to pass up.
- 403b Savings Calculator - If you are an employee of a non-profit tax-exempt organization, a 403 b can be one of your best tools for creating a secure retirement.
- 457 Plan: Roth vs. Pre-tax Calculator - Use this calculator to help determine whether a Roth or Pre-tax 457 might be best for you.
- 72(t) Calculator - The IRS Rule 72T allows for penalty free, early withdrawals from retirement accounts. Use this calculator to determine your allowable 72T Distribution and how it can help fund your early retirement.
- Annual Rate of Return Calculator - Use this calculator to determine the annual return of a known initial amount, a stream of deposits, plus a known final future value.
- Borrowing From a 401k or 403b Calculator - The majority of 401(k) plans and a growing number of 403(b) plans let you borrow money from your account. Use this calculator to help you determine if you should borrow, and the potential impact on your retirement savings.
- Compare Investment Fees Calculator - Even a small difference in the fees you pay on your investments can add up over time. Use this calculator to see how different fees impact your investment strategy!
- Investment Questionnaire Calculator - Cash, Fixed Income and Equities - This questionnaire is designed to help you create a balanced portfolio of the three basic investment classes: Cash, Fixed Income and Equities.
- Life Expectancy Calculator - This calculator can give you an idea of your life expectancy based on your current age, smoking habits, gender and several other important lifestyle choices.
- Long Term Care Calculator - Long term care is needed by those who can't perform the basic tasks required to take care of themselves. This calculator can help you determine if you are financially prepared for this impending expense.
- Municipal Bond Tax Equivalent Yield - Income generated from municipal bond coupon payments are not subject to federal income tax and often are exempt from state taxes. Use this calculator to estimate the tax-equivalent yield (TEY) for a municipal bond.
- Mutual Fund Expense Calculator - This calculator can help you analyze the costs associated with buying shares in a mutual fund. By entering a few pieces of information, found in your fund's prospectus, you can see the impact of fees and operating expenses on your investment.
- Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) for Current Year - The IRS requires that you withdraw at least a minimum amount - known as a Required Minimum Distribution - from some types of retirement accounts annually, starting the year you turn age 70-1/2. Determining how much you are required to withdraw is an important issue in retirement planning. Use this calculator to determine your Required Minimum Distributions.
- Retirement Income Calculator - Use this calculator to determine how much monthly income your retirement savings may provide you in your retirement.
- Retirement Planner Calculator - Quickly determine if your retirement plan is on track - and learn how to keep it there.
- Retirement Shortfall Calculator - Running out of your retirement savings too soon is one of the biggest risks to a comfortable retirement. Use this calculator to find a potential short fall in your current retirement savings plan.
- Roth 401k vs Traditional 401k Calculator - Use this calculator to determine which 401(k) contribution type might be right for you.
- Roth IRA Calculator - Use this calculator to compare the Roth IRA to an ordinary taxable investment.
- Roth IRA Conversion Calculator - This calculator will show the advantage, if any, of converting your IRA to a Roth.
- Roth vs. Traditional IRA Calculator - Use this calculator to determine which IRA is right for you.
- Social Security Benefits Calculator - Use this calculator to estimate your Social Security benefits.
- This calculator is designed to help compare a normal taxable investment, a tax deferred investment and tax-free investment.
- Traditional IRA Calculator - How can contributing to a regular IRA help you in your retirement?